Monday, February 06, 2006

A/W'06 - Luella

I love Luella's shows every time. Her A/W collection was really impressive, kind of like Chanel - the edginess and girlieness, but with a Brit twist. Think English countryside and British Catholic schools meet Brooklyn punk.

Chanel girls with Miu Miu sunglasses. Remember those Marvel comics-esque sunnies from Miu Miu's S/S'06 collection? Luella mixed them with Chanel-esque little black babydoll dresses (complete with pearl studded collar) and frenched them with the prettiest black tights and patent leather Mary Janes. I want that look now!


There was also that classic edginess. Skinny black pants with pumps, a sharp jacket and a tshirt - very London high-street and very easy to put together! I've got that whole outfit - just that my jacket is really a blazer - and I just might wear that tomorrow. I love the cut of the jacket on the right. It kind of reminds me of Balenciaga's smart navy suits, and those bow brooches (think Christian Lacriox) together with the cute skirt combi and the cool backcombing - so much going on there, but so perfectly chichi.


And for the coats, I loved the patterns. The gingham coat - so European schoolgirl - is great, but the checked trench is even better. I imagine these pieces to be something I could expect from Britain's Burberry or Paul Smith London - quinessential English style. Speaking of patterns, I love the patterns I've seen so far. I may not be a fan of leopard print but it adds spice to the collection. And black stripes are still around, but wait, I don't hate black stripes except when they're paired with a white background. In this case, the sci-fi futuristic look of the blue-black combi is fascinating. And yes, I like it.


The mix of conservative with sexy and edgy was what I liked the most about the collection. A satin blouse with a bow tie and long sleeves could risk looking dowdy in a wrong match, but with skinny pants, anything transforms into street-style cool. With a chain bag, in lime green no less, just reinforces it all. Very cool. And, a granny-knit sweater, pastel pink - yeah that's granny alright - turns sexy secretary with a little pencil skirt, in dark shiny patent leather. With a dogtag and a chain tote you get the perfect rock-chick style.


And then there are those pieces that make you stop and go wow. You either love it or hate it. There seems to be a little Las Vegas going on in the jacket on the right with studs ala Elvis Presley and yet a little motorcycle with the boxy cut and the black colour, but then again, there's also the cowboy thing - blue jeans, blue shirt tucked in. Love it or hate it? And then you've got that look-at-me dress. It looks like Chloe - the buttons, the frills, the ribbon and the satin, but then it screams ripe pineapple at you and suddenly it looks all costumey which makes me love it even more.

If the rest of the Fall collections are going to be as interesting as this, then looks like 2006 is going to be a great fashion year.

P.S. I'm not into the rest of the outfit, but the tshirt here looks great. Damn the jacket for covering it's glory.